Supervisor’s Title: Executive Secretary
Location: On-Site at 9470 Main Street, Upper Lake, California, 95485
Purpose of the Position: Welcomes all visitors (i.e., guests, staff, tribal members & vendors) to the office, provides and assures their comfort, and directs them to the proper staff or service. Answers telephones, screens calls, forwards calls, records, and forwards messages accurately. Transcribe messages from telephone answering machines. This position is under the direction of the Executive Secretary & Tribal Administrator, providing clerical support to HPUL tribal office staff and tribal members.
- Performs a variety of office tasks, including answering a multi-line phone system, transferring calls, and taking messages for the appropriate individuals.
- Performs tasks such as filing, typing, photocopying, faxing, proofreading, sorting, collating, etc.
- Receives, sorts, and distributes incoming office mail and log & post outgoing mail; files correspondence and other materials as required.
- Assists the Executive Secretary in keeping Tribal member’s information up to date.
- Maintains strict confidentiality as 1) legally required including but not limited to information subject to third party confidentiality agreements, 2) internal confidential information marked as such, and 3) tribal member confidentiality in conformance with agency confidentiality policy.
- Sets up on-site conference room for the purpose of Tribal Member, Committee, and the Executive Council meetings.
- Maintains an updated bulletin board by posting and removing flyers and notices when needed.
- Assists with keeping the Administration office calendars updated and organized.
- Assists with keeping all forms and applications stocked and available for Tribal members and staff.
- Stock photocopier and fax machines with paper and ink, along with ordering supplies for copy machines, offices, and departments.
- Assists with keeping the workstation and lobby area neat and organized.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School graduate or GED
Skills & Abilities:
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience in clerical work or any equivalent combination of acceptable training is required.
- Additional experience of one (1) to three (3) years in reception or clerical skills preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain a positive and professional relationship with co-workers, Executive Council, Tribal Members, committees, and visitors; utilizing cultural sensitivity and ability to relate well and effectively in a diverse workplace and with a diverse client population.
- Ability to accurately type 40 words per minute.
- Considerable knowledge of business English, spelling and punctuation, office practices, and procedures.
- Ability to organize, efficiently document, and routinely update information.
- Ability to properly apply procedures to resolve problems and situations.
- Familiarity with current Windows operating systems and proficiency in additional software, including currently supported versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader, Windows applications such as Word, Publisher, Excel, etc.
- Ability to operate and troubleshoot general office equipment (e.g., copiers (Xerox, Toshiba, Ricoh, etc.), fax machine (Brother / Hewitt Packer), calculator, etc.)
- Able to respond courteously to the immediate needs of visitors and callers.
- Ability to establish priorities and maintain productivity despite numerous interruptions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Team player and strong abilities to multitask.
- Positive attitude and determination to persevere.
- Exhibit a high level of integrity, autonomy, and self-motivation.
- Excellent organizational skills with a strong ability to prioritize.
- Ability to professionally represent the company at all levels and interface with all levels of employees.
- Demonstrates solid work ethic by using time productively to accomplish work goals.
- Effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Ability to lift 15 pounds at a time.
Native American Indian preference shall apply to the position in accordance with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. § 2000e-2(i)), regulations of the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (41 C.F.R. § 60-1.5(a)(7)), and/or other relevant laws. Applicants claiming Indian preference must submit verification of Indian eligibility with their application.