Title: Early Childhood Education Director
Supervisor: Executive Council
Department: Health, Social and Human Services
Location: On-Site at 635 E. Highway 20, Upper Lake, CA 95485
Build, maintain and continuously improve the early childhood development opportunities available to Tribal members and the Tribe’s neighbors in the Upper Lake community.
Will operate the facility within an applicable licensure and regulatory requirements focusing on safety, individual well-being, curriculum, and provide a routine environment for young children to thrive. As a practical matter the Habematolel Pomo of Upper Lake Tribe-Generations Child Care Center (the “Center”) should operate efficiently to defray the costs to operate the Center. The Center will implement a dynamic, play-based curriculum that incorporates artistic and practical activities into the daily schedule. The position is a full-time position and as such work hours must coincide with the Center’s hours of operation: Monday through Friday 7:30am to 7:30 pm.
All of the responsibilities listed below are considered essential functions of this position. Additionally, this position is expected to ensure that the core operating values and the strategic direction of the Center are adhered to.
• Teaches in a classroom, provides supervision, and administrative support to the teaching staff and children.
• Supervises Teachers, Teacher Assistants, and Classroom Volunteers.
• Reviews the performance of staff, substitutes, student teachers, and volunteers.
• Responsible for meeting all licensing requirements and other policies & procedures and any other educational requirements as established by the Tribe.
• Responsible for accurately updating records on-site including but not limited to enrollment, attendance, meal counts, daily logs, curriculum, child observations, and parent participation.
• Provides a pleasant, safe, and clean environment for children and staff.
• Assures that fire and earthquake drills are conducted monthly.
• Provides and designs developmentally appropriate curriculum and activities for children.
• Plans and supervises curriculum and lesson plans.
• Implements the individual goals and objectives that are set for each child.
• Greets children, parents, staff, and guests.
• Meets the individual needs and interests of children in relation to their cultural, social and economic background.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Preschool Experience: 5 years (Preferred).
• Teaching position: 3 years (Preferred).
• Possess experience working with children in a preschool setting for a minimum of 5 years.
• Be CPR (CARDIOPULMONARY RESUSCITATION) and First Aid Certified.
• Be a flexible, self-motivated, and a team player.
• Possess the ability to communicate professionally with the governmental officials, any licensing personnel, parents, and staff.
• Have the ability to create and oversee lesson plans and curriculums.
• Possess the ability and patience to interact with parents, guardians and other caregivers in a positive and friendly manner.
Habematolel Pomo of Upper Lake requires the successful completion of a drug screening of all potential Tribal employees before the scheduling of an interview. The Tribe recognizes that the State of California has legalized the use of marijuana. However, as an independent sovereign, the Tribe maintains a prohibition of marijuana by its employees is located on federally owned trust land and complies with federal laws. Therefore, marijuana use is prohibited, and all drug tests will include a screening for THC. Habematolel Pomo of Upper Lake Tribe has a zero-tolerance drug and alcohol policy, and employees will be required to sign a Consent to Drug and/or Alcohol Testing. Employees may be selected for alcohol/drug testing upon reasonable suspicion and upon any/all accidents.
Candidates for this position will be subject to criminal and character background checks and fingerprinting. Verification of previous employment and education will be conducted after the interview if an offer of employment is being considered.
Confidentiality is an absolute requirement for this position and is cause for immediate termination if not followed to the highest standard.
Preference in hiring is given to (1) qualified Habematolel Pomo of Upper Lake Tribal Members; and (2) qualified American Indians in accordance with Title 25, U.S. Code, Section 472 and 473. Applicants claiming Indian preference must submit verification of Indian eligibility.