Purpose of the Position: To build, maintain, and continuously improve the early childhood development opportunities available to Tribal members and the Tribe’s neighbors in the Upper Lake community. This position will operate the facility within applicable licensure and regulatory requirements focusing on safety, individual well-being, curriculum, and provide a routine environment for young children to thrive. As a practical matter the Habematolel Pomo of Upper Lake Tribe-Generations Child Care Center (the “Center”) should operate efficiently to defray the costs to operate the Center. The Center will implement a dynamic, play-based curriculum that incorporates artistic and practical activities into the daily schedule.
- Teaches in a classroom, provides supervision, and administrative support to the teaching staff and children.
- Supervises Teachers, Teacher Assistants, and Classroom Volunteers.
- Reviews the performance of staff, substitutes, student teachers, and volunteers.
- Responsible for meeting all licensing requirements and other policies & procedures and any other educational requirements as established by the Tribe.
- Responsible for accurately updating records on-site including but not limited to enrollment, attendance, meal counts, daily logs, curriculum, child observations, and parent participation.
- Provides a pleasant, safe, and clean environment for children and staff.
- Assures that fire and earthquake drills are conducted monthly.
- Provides and designs developmentally appropriate curriculum and activities for children.
- Plans and supervises curriculum and lesson plans.
- Implements the individual goals and objectives that are set for each child.
- Greets children, parents, staff, and guests.
- Meets the individual needs and interests of children in relation to their cultural, social and economic background.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- 12 core semester units of early childhood education/development.
- 3 semester units in Administration or Staff Relations.
- 4 years teaching experience in a supervised group Child Care Center.
- Preschool Experience: 5 years (Preferred).
- Possess experience working with children in a preschool setting for a minimum of 5 years.
- Minimum 5 years of supervisory experience.
- Alternative Requirements:
- A degree in child development, 3 units of Administration, and 2 years teaching experience, OR
- Bachelor’s degree in child development, 3 units of Administration, and 1 year teaching experience.
- Child Development Site Supervisor Permit or Program Director Permit.
- CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) and First Aid Certified.
Skills and Abilities:
- Self-starting team player with effective interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to function as a contributing team member and interact positively and openly with peers and other departments in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment while maintaining strong attention to detail.
- Strong communication (verbal and written) and listening skills.
- Ability to clearly and effectively articulate thoughts and points.
- Ability to present information with clarity and professionalism to governmental officials, any licensing personnel, parents, and staff.
- Possess the ability and patience to interact with parents, guardians, and other caregivers in a positive and friendly manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative environment with staff, colleagues, and clientele groups.
- Able to work independently, but also in a team-setting.
- Able to maintain professionalism, a strong work ethic, and strict confidentiality.
- Possess a high level of integrity, autonomy, and self-motivation.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, project management, and time management skills.
- Responsible and flexible to changes while maintaining effective organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to create and oversee lesson plans and curriculums.
- Outstanding ability to think creatively, strategically, and identify and resolve problems.
- Prolonged sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift, push, and or pull up to 25 pounds.
Preference in hiring is given to (1) qualified Habematolel Pomo of Upper Lake Tribal Members; and (2) qualified American Indians in accordance with Title 25, U.S. Code, Section 472 and 473. Applicants claiming Indian preference must submit verification of Indian eligibility.